Located in Harlem's Saint Nicholas Park at West 141st Street, Hamilton Grange National Memorial was founding father Alexander Hamilton's country home in northern Manhattan from 1802 until his death in 1804. Designed by prominent architect John McComb Jr., it is an example of early Federal Period architecture.
The house was sold by Hamilton's wife Elizabeth in 1833 and was relocated and stripped of some original features, including its porches and a grand staircase, by successive owners. In 1962, it was deeded to the National Park Service and in that same year was authorized a national memorial by the United States Congress—a designation used to protect places that are commemorative. The legislation that created the memorial required the house be relocated and restored to its 19th century appearance. These provisions were fulfilled in 2008.
The Hamilton Grange collections include Historic American Building Survey (HABS) drawings that illustrate the Grange and many of its architectural details, as well as a special collection of books owned by Hamilton, that provide insight into his interests and views.
Learn more about this site on the National Park Service and New York Harbor Parks websites.